One way consumers are ensuring access to become psychedelically self-sufficient is by growing psilocybin mushrooms at home. With more curiosity growing by the year, magic mushrooms are a hot topic in today’s psychedelic world. The person who did the most to bring magic mushrooms to mainstream culture was a writer and ethnobotanist named Terence McKenna. He had been experimenting with psychedelics since his teen years, but it wasn’t until a trip to the Amazon in 1971 that he discovered psilocybin mushrooms, fields of them according to a 2000 profile in Wired magazine. In 1976, McKenna and his brother published “Psilocybin: Magic Mushroom Grower’s Guide,” a manual for cultivating psilocybin mushrooms at home. “What is described is only slightly more complicated than canning or making jelly,” McKenna wrote in the foreword to the book. Some experts consider psilocybin mushrooms as one of the easiest things to grow in the world, as they need few specific conditions and some patience. Learning how to use a psilocybin grow kit makes it even more easier for growers of all experience levels to cultivate their own mushrooms.
When growing mushrooms at home, be prepared to think of it less like growing vegetables and more like having a sourdough starter. If you get too ambitious with your growing operation, you could easily end up with way more mushrooms than you know what to do with. On the other hand, if you don’t take the necessary precautions, you could end up with a big moldy mess.
For those who are just curious about growing mushrooms at home, a psilocybin grow kit is a fun and worthwhile purchase to get you started. A psilocybin grow kit is also a good introduction into magic mushroom growing for anyone without experience. Psilocybin grow kits are great for those not wanting to make their own substrate (a substrate is a bulk material that the mushroom mycelium can use for energy and nutrition) or do not have the resources to sterilize materials. Give your magic mushroom kits the right lighting, humidity, temperature and clean environment and they’ll produce plenty of psychedelic heads. FungusHead has everything you need to grow your very own magic mushrooms, from the kits themselves to products such as heated mats and thermo-hygrometers, as well as full mycological study kits.
Key Factors In Growing Mushrooms From A Psilocybin Grow Kit
Some experts consider psilocybin mushrooms as one of the easiest things to grow in the world, as they need few specific conditions and a bit of patience. Each mushroom strain has a set of different properties as they’re from different parts of the world. Some are much easier to grow than others, some are much more potent, and others produce larger yields when compared. They also grow in various different shapes which cultivators can observe once they open up and fully reveal themselves. Knowing which kind of mushroom you want, and learning how to use a psilocybin grow kit is important before cultivation. Here are some key factors to strongly consider when growing mushrooms, or learning how to use a psilocybin grow kit.
Lighting – One of the most important factors when growing magic mushrooms is the amount of light that they receive and the quality of that light. Keep in mind that mushrooms and psilocybin grow kits should never be given direct light. Always keep the grow kit out of direct sunlight, which can have negative effects on the growth of your psilocybin mushrooms grown for research purposes.
Humidity – Humidity is essential, as it’s what activates the mycelium which is where the shrooms sprout from. To create and keep a warm and humid environment, most growers use a transparent grow bag with a micron filter. Similar to a greenhouse where you would grow plants and vegetables with a controllable environment. The transparent bag keeps moisture in the air for the mushrooms to feed on and flourish. Most mushroom cultivators would agree that humidity be high around 90%, at the very least. Growers can keep the humidity high by spraying with water every day, or two days, after the pinning of the mushrooms. Just as wild mushrooms prefer humid forests, so do domesticated mushrooms.
Temperature – Temperature is another very important factor, as mushrooms generally thrive between 21 and 24°C, so keeping a propagator right in the middle is key if you want to produce as many shrooms as possible. Some argue the optimum and precise temperature for mushrooms to develop out of the mycelium is 24-25 degrees. But, keep in mind that the temperature can vary with the different mushroom species or strain varieties.
Hygiene – Hygiene and a clean environment is essential in learning how to use a psilocybin grow kit to cultivate mushrooms. These magical guys are quite sensitive, and they need a clean and sterilized environment to thrive. Always make sure the grow kit is handled in a very clean and sterile environment. Always wash your hands and use gloves when you soak the grow kit or harvest. Use clean and fresh water for misting the kit, water you would consume yourself is recommended. And again, never ever touch them with your hands! Following strict hygiene guidelines will ensure you lower the risk of contamination.
Growing The Mycelium In Learning How To Use A Psilocybin Grow Kit
- Once you have received both the mushroom spores and the bags, inoculate the bags with about 3-5 ccs of spores from your syringe.
- Simply flame the needle with a lighter before putting it into the bag, followed by then injecting the spores into the grain bag. Although each experience can differ, it usually takes 2 weeks before any mycelium will start to grow.
- When the mycelium is around the size of a quarter, (usually after about 3 weeks in time) shake the bag to evenly distribute this mycelium around. It is crucial to be very careful not to puncture the bag or poke any holes thru it.
- Keep an eye on the bag, as it should be close to fully colonized around 2 weeks after the mycelium was distributed within.
- Again, you will need to break up the mycelium and distribute evenly throughout the entire bag. After about 6 weeks in time, the bag will be fully colonized with mycelium.
What Makes A Psilocybin Grow Kit
- Now that the mycelium has colonized, you can either fruit the mushrooms directly from the bag or you can further expand into a bulk substrate. Substrate is the bulk material that the mushroom mycelium can use for energy and nutrition. (A good substrate is required in order for the mushroom to grow and to fruit.)
- Simply take one block of material used to make a substrate (high quality manure, rice flour, block of coco noir for examples) and 2 quarts of vermiculite and place them in a 5-gallon bucket, or container of relative size.
- Pour one gallon of boiling water into the bucket and allow to sit for 1 hour.
- Mix the ingredients together and allow to sit for another 2-3 hours, keeping the lid of the bucket on during this time.
- Now place the substrates into sealable plastic bags which have a filter on them, or leave in the 5-gallon bucket. (This makes roughly 10 pounds of bulk substrate in case you were wondering!)
- The only thing that needs to be done to grow magic mushrooms out of this mycelium is putting the psilocybin grow kit in a warm, light, and humid environment. Easy!
How To Use A Quality Psilocybin Grow Kit For Mushroom Fruitation
- The substrate and mycelium need a humid environment to get started, they need to get moist first. You can do this by soaking (also called dunking) the substrate directly in quality water. (Use water from a cold water tap, or a bottled water source if the tap water is questionable or not to be trusted. Certain bacteria that survive in cold water could contaminate the grow kit. A good rule of thumb is if you would drink it yourself, you can use it for your psilocybin grow kit.)
- The vermiculite and perlite will absorb lots of water and keep the grow kit moist.
- Mix the spawn into the bucket or each bag. The bags should be sealed and the bucket should have the top placed on to it. Be sure to allow the substrate to fully cool before inoculating with spawn. Allow the spawn to grow for about 2-3 weeks, at this point everything should be fully colonized and ready to fruit!
How To Use A Psilocybin Grow Kit For Mushroom Cultivation
Between 10-30 days after the spawn is exposed to moisture, you will see the first mushrooms grow out of the psilocybin grow kit. But, keep in mind that developing time of the mushrooms can vary with the different strain variations. And for some cultivators, within a few days the mushrooms are ready to pick. They might be ready after around 3-4 days, as each type may be different. From then onwards mushrooms will start popping up all over. Checking on them throughout the day will allow you to see their rapid growth and you will probably notice them getting larger, growing a few centimeters a day. Harvesting is always the coolest part, as the grower gets to see the beauty and magic that is alive thanks to their hard work and patience. After harvesting, you will need to let the mushrooms dry for a few more days before being able to study them.
- Before removing any mushrooms, put on some gloves for lower risk of contamination. Pinch the mushrooms stalk between your fingers, twisting with slight pressure. The mushrooms should pop out straight away.
- Psilocybin mushrooms are quite sensitive and bruise easily. Most often, wherever you touch them they will begin to turn a dark color for a couple of hours. (This is normal and not a sign for worry about contamination or rot.)
- Once all the mushrooms have been removed, do not throw away the container unless you have no other plans to keep more psilocybin mushrooms. Mycelium can remain active for longer periods of time, depending on the conditions given such as substrate quality and moisture. You may have a surprise of a whole new crop of mushrooms after just a couple of days. Some experienced cultivators that provide absolutely perfect conditions may even get three or four fruitations out of just one container.
The Difficulties That Can Arise With Growing Mushrooms
As with any new venture, there are bound to be some minor hiccups along the way. And that goes for learning how to use a psilocybin grow kit as well. One such hiccup is learning how to keep the growing environment at optimal levels, as far as sun/light and moisture. One of the most common concerns is when the mushrooms become a little dried out before they are finished growing. Many mushroom growers suggest loosely tenting your mushrooms in clear plastic to preserve moisture while also maintaining airflow. Contamination is also one of the most common problems reported when cultivating mushrooms. Incorrect sterilization is the lead cause of contamination. All life on Earth competes to survive, and mushrooms are especially sensitive. So providing mycelium with the best environment in which to thrive is paramount for ensuring growth when learning how to use a psilocybin grow kit.
Give your magic mushroom kits the right lighting, humidity, temperature and clean environment and they’ll produce plenty of psychedelic heads. FungusHead has everything you need to grow your very own magic mushrooms, from the kits themselves to products such as heated mats and thermo-hygrometers, as well as full mycological study kits. Having a reputable and professional source of psilocybin grow kits has proven to be beneficial. As those who can provide such quality products are most often very knowledgeable in psilocybin mushrooms as well as how to grow them successfully. And as a final reminder, the cultivation of psilocybin mushrooms is illegal in most areas of the world, let alone the United States. Be sure to know the laws of your area so you can enjoy the beauty in using your psilocybin grow kit legally!